Tips On How To Avoid Bad Plastic Surgery?
Bad plastic surgery can result in many things, including strange facial expression, contour irregularities, artificial appearance, or severe scarring. Bad results tend to leave a lasting impression and even cause some individuals to opt-out of a plastic surgery procedure when they want to enhance their appearance.
We have all heard the horror stories of plastic surgery that has gone wrong. However, it is actually rare when your surgeon is trained in plastic surgery residency and board-certified to perform plastic surgery.
Bad results are typically the outcome of a surgeon who is not qualified to perform the procedure. Enhancing your appearance should be an exciting time. Not one where you have to worry about undesirable results.
There are some very simple things you can do to ensure you get the results that you want and deserve from your plastic surgery. In this guide, we will discuss everything you need to do before having your surgery to maximize your chances of amazing results.
Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
Plastic surgery is not something that you can really “save money” on. It is being done to enhance your looks, so remember the old saying, “You get what you pay for.” When scouting out a plastic surgeon you will want to look for one that has the right combination of training, credentials, and experience.
All qualified plastic surgeons should have a certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (not to be confused with the fake and unrecognized American Board of Cosmetic Surgery. Doctors touting this made-up credential actually were not trained in plastic surgery).
This happens to be the only medical board that legitimately recognizes plastic surgeons. So, this is really important. If your surgeon is not certified by this board, then continue your search.
You want to have a very thorough consultation with your surgeon. Another telltale sign is, how thorough is your surgeon during your consultation. This is a two-way scenario. You need to evaluate both to ensure the surgeon is doing their part to give you the best possible outcome.
You always want to ask a lot of questions. Here are some you can take with you to your consultation:
Questions To Ask Your Surgeon
- Where did you complete your residency? What did you do your residency training in? This will help you know if they were actually residency trained in plastic surgery. Rather than some other residency and now they are just doing aesthetic procedures.
- Have you performed the surgery I am looking to get before? If so how many times? This allows you to learn more about their experience level and their track record.
- What are the associated risks? How often do things go wrong? You always want to be skeptical of a surgeon that is evasive when answering these questions.
- Am I a good candidate for this procedure? The physician should go through your past medical history. In addition, they should point out any health and safety issues that may pose a danger if having your procedure.
- What are all my options? Surgical and non-surgical? Your surgeon should walk you through all options. This will allow you to make the best decision for your enhancement.
- Are you Board Certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgeons? This allows you to know your surgeon is being held to the highest standards in safety, skill level, and patient care. Remember, the Board of Cosmetic Surgeons is not a real certification.
- Who will be administering my anesthesia? You will want a trained anesthesiologist or certified registered nurse anesthetist. No plastic surgeon should be administering the anesthesia.
- What is recovery like? You always want to have a clear picture of what to expect after your procedure. Plus, you want to be sure that you are getting the aftercare that you will need from the surgeon and their team.
- Is there anything I can do to ensure safety during my procedure? These may be things such as quit smoking, avoid alcohol, lose weight, or stop taking certain medications.
Choosing the right plastic surgeon can make a world of difference when it comes to results. Take the time to look at past results that the surgeon was able to obtain for other patients. Read reviews and get to know how others felt about their time with the surgeon and their staff.
Three Things To Look For In A Plastic Surgeon
There are three main things you should consider when looking for your plastic surgeon:
- Experience – you want a surgeon who has experience in the procedure that you are seeking to get done. Experience is one of the key factors in avoiding bad plastic surgery.
- Ability – you want your surgeon to have exceptional skills. Plastic surgery is an art, so they should be making suggestions to you on what to do to enhance your looks. They will have the best knowledge of what will look best and provide you with natural results.
- Willingness – be certain that the surgeon is willing to take the time to provide you with the results. You want your surgeon to take enough time to provide you with precise results to the best of their abilities.
Evaluate your surgeon by their performance. Look at past results, listen to their stories. You will want to take your time when looking through before and after photos. Most surgeons will have a section on their website which will have before and after photos, so you can do this part from the comfort of your home.
Also, be sure you read loads of reviews. For instance, this will give you an understanding of a patient’s time spent with the surgeon. It will also give you a feel for how happy patients were with their results and the quality of care that they received before and after their procedure.
Additionally, if you have had family or friends who have had some enhancements done you can ask for recommendations. Word of mouth tends to be the best way to find a doctor that will give you amazing results. However, you will still want to do your due diligence to ensure the plastic surgeon meets all the criteria for your specific procedure.
Check out these most frequently asked questions and answers to various surgical procedures. This list may help you come up with additional questions for your consultation.
How Can You Ensure That Your Surgeon Meets All The Criteria?
It comes down to research and your consultation. You will have to take the time to examine past results and ask loads of questions. This is the best way to evaluate the surgeon’s skills and abilities. You can never ask too many questions.
Be sure that there is an after-procedure plan. Some botched plastic surgeries can cause poor healing. Additionally, there is no follow through with recovery instructions. You may have a series of follow up visits with your surgeon after your procedure. This is exactly what you want to happen. They will be able to document how you are healing and note if anything is not healing correctly.
Quick List: Finding The Best Plastic Surgeon For You
- Schedule an in-person or virtual consultation – ask loads of questions.
- Look at the surgeon’s credentials – Certification from the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In addition, they should be certified to perform your procedure by a hospital. Hospitals don’t give permission to fake plastic surgeons to do plastic surgery procedures there.
- Review before and after photos – look for attention to detail and quality of photos: consistency, symmetry, lighting, patient positioning, etc.
- Reviews – gain insight into patient aftercare.
- 3 Criteria – Experience, Ability, and Willingness.
Bad plastic surgery results are not always due to the physician’s abilities. It can occur during the recovery phase. It is so important that you follow through with all post-operative instructions. All surgeries come with the risk of complications. You can decrease your risk by strictly adhering to your surgeon’s instructions.
Be sure to keep all of your bandages and support garments in place while you are healing, take medications as prescribed. In addition, get loads of rest as this will help your body heal. Going back to work or exercising too early could cause complications for your recovery. If you develop any worrisome symptoms, such as bleeding or fever, make sure to contact your surgeon.
Dr. Nazarian Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Dr. Nazarian is a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon who did a plastic surgery residency and fellowship at the University of Southern California and now practices in Beverly Hills. She has extensive experience in surgical, minimally invasive, and non-invasive cosmetic enhancements.
Dr. Nazarian offers exceptional care to her patients, backed by top-notch education, commitment, and experience. Follow her on Instagram @drsheilanazarian and @themodelsurgeon.
Both surgical and non-surgical options will be explored at your consultation with Dr. Nazarian. If you are looking for a highly-skilled plastic surgeon with the best and most up-to-date technology, schedule an appointment with Dr. Nazarian. Call (310) 773-3039 today to set up your consultation or use our online form and someone will get back to you shortly.
Check out our blog where you can find many resources on procedures you may be considering, such as body contouring, dermal fillers, vaginal rejuvenation, and much more. You can even find out the history of why it is called plastic surgery.