Finding a trusted and highly trained plastic surgeon to do your cosmetic procedure can be overwhelming when you do not know what to look for. An outstanding 17.5 million cosmetic procedures are performed each year in the United States. Having confidence in your plastic surgeon can take away any fears you may have about going under the knife.
This guide will tell you everything you need to know about finding the best cosmetic surgeon near you.
Online Resource for Finding the Best Plastic Surgeon Near Me
Google will yield many results when you search for terms like “top-rated plastic surgeons near me” or “best plastic surgeons in Beverly Hills.” It will turn up hundreds of possibilities and then you are left to weed out the best candidates for your cosmetic procedure.
Once you have a variety of candidates, follow the steps below to help you find the best surgeon for your cosmetic makeover.
Does the Plastic Surgeon Have Board Certification Credentials?
Believe it or not, those who are not trained in plastic surgery are performing plastic surgery. You may be thinking to yourself, “How is this legal?” Well, it is, and it is allowed. However, what is truly unethical is when a doctor misrepresents themselves online by saying they are a cosmetic surgeon or board-certified, but you do not know what they are certified in.
The plastic surgeon that you choose should be board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. While it is important to look at the qualifications that the surgeon has been given, you cannot depend on the state medical board alone. This government organization does not require the surgeon to be specifically trained in all the procedures that they offer.
You want to ensure your surgeon has experience in the specific procedure you want to be done, and they can provide the results that you are seeking. Always ask your surgeon if they have board certification credentials.
American Board of Plastic Surgeons
Call the American Board of Plastic Surgeons and ask if the physician is a board-certified plastic surgery. There are a lot of fake boards, and the only real one is the American Board of Plastic Surgeons. Board-certified plastic surgeons are the only doctors who are certified to perform body aesthetic or cosmetic procedures all over the body and face.
What Did the Doctor Do Their Residency In?
You may think it’s unnecessary to ask this type of question, but it’s not! Unfortunately, there are loads of doctors who perform cosmetic procedures and they are not residency trained plastic surgeons.
One of the best questions you can ask your doctor is what they did their residency in. If they say ophthalmology and you are wanting a breast augmentation, then you will probably want to reconsider them for your cosmetic procedure.
It is best to be well informed and understand the training of the surgeon.
What is the Surgeon’s Past Experience and Results Like?
All plastic surgeons have a number of subspecialties within their line of work. You will want to take the time and find a surgeon who specializes in the type of procedure you are looking to get. The best way to do this is by exploring their past experiences and taking a look at the results they obtained.
Confirm the Surgeon’s Experience in the Specific Procedures You Want
You should not solely base your decision on recommendations from friends and family. There is a combination of things that you should look at before deciding on the best plastic surgeon for your procedure.
Questions to Ask Your Surgeon:
- How did you train in the procedure I am considering?
- How many years have you been performing this procedure?
- How many times have you performed this type of procedure?
Ways to Determine a Surgeon’s Aesthetic Sense
- Before & After Photos – Make sure you take the time to look at the results they obtained for their other patients.
- Qualities – Look for patients that possess similar qualities to you. This will help you see what type of results the surgeon may be able to obtain for you.
- Facial Surgery – Take a look at patients who have similar facial features, are around the same age, and may have come in with the same type of concerns that you have.
- Breast Surgery – You will want to find other patients that have similar torso and breast shape. This will give you the best vision of the outcome you may look forward to.
- Body Surgery – Look at other patient’s body shapes. Try to find a person who has similar issues that you may be experiencing such as a saggy belly or large hips.
- Consistency – While viewing before and after photos you want to look at the consistent results that your surgeon was able to obtain with all of their patients.
Look at Ratings by Prior Patients
The internet is filled with places that people can offer reviews, but not all of them are reliable sources. However, it is very important that you listen to what former patients are saying about the plastic surgeon you intend on hiring. This will help you understand what others liked and disliked about the care they received from the cosmetic surgeon.
What Safety Standards Do The Plastic Surgeon Follow?
Top-rated plastic surgeons will ahead to all safety standards. These standards are provided by various health regulatory organizations, such as:
- Accredited by the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities (AAAASF)
- Accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC)
- Accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations
- Certified to participate in the Medicare program under title XVIII
- A License by the state in which the facility operates.
Is the Surgical Facility Accredited or State-Licensed?
Not only should you look at the credentials of the plastic surgeon, but also the facility they are performing your procedure in. This will ensure they are complying with the highest patient safety standards. Regular inspections will be conducted to ensure standards are maintained for surgical procedures.
- Ask your surgeon where your procedure will take place.
- Check the facilities credentials
- Look for AAAASF, AAAHC, JCAHO, IMQ operating facility certifications or other accreditations that are approved by the state medical board in which the surgeon practices.
- Check the anesthetist’s qualifications. Ensure they are either a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) or Board-Certified Anesthesiologist.
Can the Doctor Perform Your Procedure in a Hospital?
Hospitals will check everything and will only give privileges to doctors in the field that they were trained in. Therefore, it is a fantastic idea to ask your physician if they can perform your procedure in a hospital. If they are not, then this will tell you that they may not have training in the procedure you are seeking to have done.
How are Patient Consultations Conducted?
The plastic surgeon should offer a very comprehensive consultation. Your aesthetic goals should be discussed, as well as your anatomy, medical history, and lifestyle habits.
Be sure that you ask your surgeon all the questions that you have. It will also give you some time to get to know the Doctor who will be performing your procedure. Your surgeon will design a plan that will meet your needs and discuss realistic expectations with you.
In addition, they will go over the recovery process to ensure you are committed to the procedure and will follow through with allowing your body to properly heal.
Does the Surgeon Cater to Individual Needs?
The purpose of a consultation is to openly and honestly discuss your goals and personal situation. From there, the surgeon will be able to design a tailored treatment plan that is unique to your needs and desired results. Always strive to find a plastic surgeon who is able and willing to customize a treatment plan for you. As this will give you a better chance to retrieve aesthetic goals.
Check out our blog where we compare Restylane vs Juvederm.
Is the Plastic Surgeon Personable?
While there is not always a need to connect with the cosmetic surgeon on a personal level, it will most definitely make your experience much more comfortable and easier.
Here are some questions that you may ask yourself before deciding on a plastic surgeon for your procedure.
- Was I comfortable while spending time with the surgeon?
- Can I trust the recommendations that were suggested by my surgeon?
- Were these recommendations safe and right for me?
- Do I feel comfortable enough to ask questions as they arise?
- Am I comfortable with sharing my medical history and lifestyle habits with my surgeon?
- Did the surgeon take time to answer all of my questions?
Customer Service Will Matter
In addition to interviewing the plastic surgeon, you want to make sure that you are comfortable in the facility that you will be doing your procedure in. You will be doing pre-op and post-op appointments, so customer service will be important.
Here are just a few things to look for when gauging the customer service of your plastic surgeon’s facility.
- Is the staff friendly and helpful?
- Was I given all the material needed to help me prepare for my surgery and recovery?
- Are all the financial fees upfront and clearly stated?
- Was I given an all-inclusive quote?
- When contacting the practice, is the staff friendly and eager to help me?
Finding the Right Plastic Surgeon Near Me
The absolute best thing you can do is take the time to have more than one consultation, as this will allow you to meet with the physician and decide who you feel most comfortable with. There are loads of factors you need to take into consideration, so it is best that you have a checklist to take along with you. This will ensure that you do not forget any important questions that you may want to ask your plastic surgeon.
Finding a highly trained and qualified plastic surgeon in your area does not have to be difficult. Use our quick checklist below to help you identify a solid set of minimum criteria, professional standards, and personal preferences.
Feel confident in the surgeon that you choose, as they are one of the most intricate parts of your cosmetic makeover. Ensure you get the results you are aiming for while feeling confident and comfortable is one of the most important parts of finding a plastic surgeon for your procedure.
Check out our blog where you can find more information on various procedures that we offer, such as BodyTite.