Having a beautiful profile when you look in the mirror is something that very few of us get to experience. One flaw that tends to catch our eyes is the fat and excess skin beneath our chin. This may be caused by a number of contributing factors. If you are looking for ways on how to get rid of a double chin, then you are in luck.
In this guide, we will discuss all of your options, from surgery to diets. You will then be able to make the best decision on what treatment option will work for you!
What is a Double Chin?
A “double chin” is an extra layer of submental fat underneath the skin. The double chin is formed because the skin loses its elasticity. This may be caused by age or genetics. The sagging will then cause wrinkles to form, which will create the illusion of having two chins. When skin loses its elasticity, it will not be able to hold the fat close to the neck and chin.
We also lose muscle tone in this area as we age. Your genetic makeup may contribute to your chances of getting a second chin. People have the misconception that only those who are overweight have double chins, however, this is not true.
Thin people can get double chins as well. The make-up of a double chin is not just neck fat. Age plays the biggest role in the skin losing its elasticity and causing the skin in the neck area to sag. If double chins run in your family, then you are more likely to experience this issue. Keep reading to find out more about how to get rid of a double chin. When you google, “How To Get Rid Of A Double Chin” many treatment options will show up. Here we will discuss all of your options, so you can discuss them with your physician.
What Causes a Double Chin?
Factors that may cause fat to sag beneath the chin may include weight gain, genetics, and anatomy. Below we will talk more about each contributing factor which may be causing the appearance of a double chin.
Age is one of the main reasons why a second chin forms. Mainly because with age our skin loses elasticity. This will cause the skin to sag and wrinkle. With this, the appearance of a double chin will be present.
Diet and weight
Weight gain can cause fat to accumulate in this area and sag. It is recommended that you decrease your calorie intake to help reduce the appearance of your double chin.
If you have family members who have double chins, then your chances of having one are greater. Skin elasticity issues are inherited and will play a role in the formation of a secondary chin.
Believe it or not, your posture can weaken the muscles in your neck and chin. This is another contributing factor that can cause the skin in the neck area to lose its elasticity. When muscles are not used properly it can cause them to lose their tone and shape.
How To Get Rid Of A Double Chin: Your Treatment Options
If you have tried diet and exercise with little to no results, then you may consider having surgery to help decrease the appearance of your double chin.
- Kybella – This treatment has been approved by the FDA for use on submental fat under the chin. Up to 50 injections will be given in a single treatment to help destroy fat cells and enhance the appearance of your profile. Individuals may have up to 6 treatments, and each treatment should be spaced at least a month apart.
- Facetite – This procedure will help treat loose skin in the face area. Radiofrequency energy is used to firm the tissue, tighten the skin and help stimulate collagen production. Liposuction may be performed along with Facetite. It is minimally invasive and does not require any stitches.
- Neck Liposuction – Liposuction of the neck will require local anesthesia, as well as small incisions. The cannula is used to remove excess fat in the area.
- Evoke – RF technology can be used non-invasively to tighten skin and melt fat in a few treatments.
- Coolsculpting – This technique will remove layers of fat through sections or with a laser. This treatment is also known as lipolysis. This treatment will melt away fat and contour the skin.
- Diet and Physical Exercise – If your secondary chin is caused by weight gain, then you may consider altering your diet. Losing weight will help decrease the appearance of your double chin, and in some cases may help it completely disappear.
- Chin Exercises – Double chin exercises do not have any scientific proof that they work. If it is quick results that you are looking for, we suggest going with one of the procedures that we listed. Exercises for your double chin do not work deep enough into the muscles to help eliminate the fat.
More About Kybella
Kybella is the most popular choice for the treatment of a double chin. This is because the treatment is non-invasive, and requires no downtime. For those who have moderate to severe fat beneath the chin, you may qualify for the Kybella injections.
Benefits of Kybella
- Kybella is FDA-approved
- No downtime or anesthesia needed
- Fat cells are destroyed permanently
- Fast and efficient treatments
- Younger and leaner appearance
Cost of Kybella
The costs of your Kybella treatment will depend on the physician, facility charge, and amount of Kybella that is needed. The cost can range between $1200 to $1800. For a total cost, you will need to consider the number of treatments needed.
How Long Does Kybella Last?
There are several injections given during the Kybella treatment. This process may need to be repeated in one to three months. The results of Kybella may begin to appear 8-12 weeks after your first treatment. For cases where there is a severe amount of fat, results may not present until 2-4 Kybella treatments are completed. Optimal results are expected around 6 months after your final session.
Is Kybella Safe?
Kybella is an FDA approved injectable treatment to care for a double chin. It is well-tolerated among patients and is a good alternative to liposuction.
How Efficient Is Kybella?
A clinical trial provided feedback that 82.4% of those who underwent the Kybella treatment saw a significant improvement in their appearance. This same study also concluded that Kybella was an efficient and safe treatment for neck fat.
More About Facetite
Facetite is a non-surgical procedure that concentrates on tightening the skin. It specifically treats areas of loose skin in the face and neck area. During the procedure, the facetite device will use radiofrequency energy to help firm up tissue, tighten the skin and enhance collagen production. Oftentimes, facetite is combined with liposuction to help tighten the skin. The Facetite procedure is minimally invasive and requires no stitches.
Benefits of Facetite
- Minimally invasive
- No incisions, only pokes
- Can be combined with other treatments
- No sedation needed
- Fast recovery
Cost of Facetite
The cost of facetite will highly depend on many factors, including the area of treatment, physician cost, facility costs, and geographical location. Contact us today to get a free consultation and review the Facetite treatment costs.
How Long Does Facetite Last?
Facetite fat reduction results are permanent, and you can expect the skin tightening aspect to last for up to five years. The process of natural aging and lifestyle choices will affect how long your results will be maintained.
Is Facetite Safe?
Yes, the Facetite procedure is one of the most advanced and safest cosmetic treatments to rejuvenate and tighten skin. This procedure gives you an alternative to more risky surgical treatments that would require general anesthesia and long recovery times. Facetite uses the same type of radiofrequency technology that has been used in MRIs. These types of medical treatments have safely been conducted for many years. It is designed to help treat delicate areas of the skin without causing any type of cellular damage within the tissues. The device contains thermal controls, which will ensure safety throughout your treatment.
How Efficient Is Facetite?
Facetite is very effective in tightening skin and helping eliminate excess fat. Results will last up to 5 years and there is little to no downtime!
Facetite Before and After
More About Neck Liposuction
Neck liposuction is typically done under local anesthesia. There will be between 1 to 3 small incisions made for the cannula to be used to remove access to fat. The procedure is generally tolerated well, and you should only feel some pressure or vibrations. Other procedures may also be combined with neck liposuction, such as FaceTite.
Benefits of Neck Liposuction
- Correction of saggy skin and overly relaxed muscles.
- Removal of excess fat.
- Smoothing and tightening the skin on the neck.
- It can be combined with other procedures, such as a facelift or Facetite.
- Permanent results.
Cost of Neck Liposuction
The cost of fat neck liposuction will highly depend on the experience of your surgeon, the facility charges, and your geographical location. In addition, you have to factor in if any other procedures are being performed the same day. Neck liposuction in Beverly Hills may range between $1000 to $4000 depending on the areas being treated and the amount of fat being removed. A consultation with your physician will help you understand the cost that would be involved with your procedure.
How Long Does Neck Liposuction Last?
Liposuction of your chin will deliver long-lasting results. How long these results will last will highly depend on the individual. Chin liposuction may last anywhere between 7 to 10 years. It will highly depend on the elasticity of the skin, and the patient’s lifestyle.
Is Neck Liposuction Safe?
Yes, neck liposuction is very safe. Risk and complications for neck liposuction are rare. This procedure is performed under local anesthesia and is considered safe.
How Efficient Is Neck Liposuction?
Neck liposuction is very efficient in removing excess fat from the chin and neck area. This procedure is one of the most popular ways to treat a double chin. Since the fat is physically being removed, results can completely change the look of your neck and chin area.
Inmode Evoke Face Treatment
Evolve trim is a combination of RF energy, deep tissue heating, and vacuum design to help decrease cellulite and tighten loose skin. The RF energy distributes heat through the skin to subcutaneous fat. While the vacuum and controlled energy pulses work together to smooth and tone stubborn fat and retone tissue. This non-invasive treatment is quick, and a perfect alternative to traditional neck liposuction.
Benefits of Evoke
- Tighten skin
- Reduce cellulite
- Improve body shape
- No downtime
- Safe for all skin types
- Painless, comfortable treatment
- Quick treatment that takes 30-60 minutes
Cost of Evoke
Evoke cost will highly depend on the areas of treatment, your physician’s fees, facility cost, and geolocation. Cost may average between 1800 to 3,000. Call to schedule your consultation today and get a free quote on your Evolve Trim treatment.
How Long Does Evoke Last?
Results are permanent, as this treatment will destroy fat cells. Rather or not these fat cells return will depend on your lifestyle habits. If you experience weight gain in the future, then this could cause fat to return to the treated area.
Is Evoke Safe?
Evoke is a safe procedure and tends to be one of the best alternatives for liposuction or other non-surgical treatments for double chins.
How Efficient Is Evoke?
Results with this treatment may be seen immediately after your first treatment. Others may see a gradual improvement in fat reduction following each treatment that they have. Your body will work to eliminate the emulsified fat cells and this may take several weeks.
Evoke is very effective in skin tightening. If you are looking for a non-invasive way to eliminate unwanted fat beneath your chin, then you should consider Evoke.
Evoke Before and After
More About Coolsculpting
Coolsculpting is an FDA-cleared treatment for visible fat bulges in the submental (under chin) and submandibular (under jawline) areas, thighs, abdomen and flanks, bra fat, back fat, underneath the buttocks and upper arms. Also known as cryolipolysis, this technology freezes fat away while killing fat cells.
Benefits of Coolsculpting
- Safe and convenient with no anesthesia, incisions or downtime.
- Natural-looking, fast results.
- Performed by trained, board-certified plastic surgeons licensed aestheticians.
- Several treatment areas.
Cost of Coolsculpting
The cost of Coolsculpting will highly depend on the area of treatment, the number of sessions, your physician’s fees, facility fees, geographic location and the various types of applicators that are used. Many specialists will offer package pricing.
Hourly prices can range from:
- $750-900 for double chin treatments with a mini applicator.
- $600 to $800, for medium applicators (for thighs and love handles).
- $1500-2500 for large applicators (for abdomen).
- $2,000 to $6,000 can be expected as approximate charges for multiple, large fat bulges.
How Long Does Coolsculpting Last?
Optimal results for Coolsculpting appear between 3 to 4 months after your treatment. This cosmetic procedure destroys fat cells, which will provide you with long-lasting results.
Is Coolsculpting Safe?
Yes, Coolsculpting is considered safe. It is well tolerated and a perfect alternative to traditional neck liposuction. Plus, it is suitable for all skin types.
How Efficient Is Coolsculpting?
Coolsculpting is highly efficient, as it is eliminating unwanted fat cells. Studies show Coolsculpting eliminates fat cells in the treated area by 20 to 25 percent.
How To Get Rid Of A Double Chin: Diet and Physical Exercise
Here are some guidelines to help you with losing weight:
- 4 servings of veggies each day
- 3 servings of fruits each day
- Avoid all processed foods
- Choose a lean protein (chicken and fish)
- Stick to healthy fats (olive oil, avocados, and nuts)
- Avoid all fried foods
- Stick to low-fat dairy products
- Decrease sugar intake
- Portion control
- Decrease calorie intake
In addition to your diet, you may also engage in exercise to help you lose weight. It is recommended that you exercise at least one hour a day. Mix up your cardio with strength training. Diet alone may not help you decrease the fat in your neck area, but exercise may help you achieve these results.
How To Get Rid Of A Double Chin: Chin Exercises
Here are some exercises that have been recommended, but keep in mind that their efficacy is limited.
- Straight Jaw Jut
- Bring the head back and look up to the ceiling.
- Begin by pushing the lower jaw forward (you should feel a stretching sensation under the chin).
- Hold this for 10 counts.
- Relax the jaw and bring your head back to a normal position.
- Ball Exercise
- Use a 9 to 10-inch ball underneath the chin.
- Use the chin to press firmly against the ball.
- Repeat this exercise up to 25 times a day.
- Pucker Up
- Look up to the ceiling with your head in a tilt position.
- Pucker up your lips as if you were going to kiss the ceiling.
- You should feel a stretching sensation under your chin.
- Release the pucker and bring your head back to a normal position.
- Tongue Stretch
- While sitting up straight, stick your tongue out as far as you can.
- Curl the tongue towards the nose.
- Hold for 10 seconds and return to normal position.
- Neck Stretch
- Look up at the ceiling with your head tilted back.
- Press your tongue firmly against the roof of your mouth.
- Hold for 5 to 10 seconds and return to normal position.
- Bottom Jaw Jut
- Look up at the ceiling with your head back.
- Push the lower jaw forward.
- Hold for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Repeat while turning your head to the left and then the right.
Any time there is extra fat on the body it is always best to evaluate your diet and implement healthy changes. It will take time to see the fat beneath your chin disappear no matter what approach you choose to take. If you are looking for ways on how to get rid of a double chin, consult with your cosmetic physician to see what options are best for you!
Do you have a double chin that you would like to get rid of? Which method above would you consider trying? Have you undergone any of these treatments before? Comment below and tell us what you think!