Stop Excessive Sweating
Excessive sweating and hyperhidrosis can quickly dampen any good day. Oftentimes you are extremely self-conscious and hesitant to be around others, even after having tried every deodorant on the market with no success. While there are products designed to mask and prevent odor, the real solution comes in how to permanently stop armpit sweat from occurring. Over 37 million Americans deal with abnormal sweating. Fortunately, miraDry offers a permanent solution, and has finally solved the long-anticipated question of, “How to stop underarm sweat.” What is miraDry? In this guide, we will discuss that and much more.
What is Hyperhidrosis?
Sweating is a normal process for the body to cool itself down. Hyperhidrosis is a condition where sweating occurs even during times of rest. In some cases, excessive sweating has occurred to the point that moisture may drip from an individual’s hands.
Hyperhidrosis causes a person to sweat profusely without cause. This condition can hinder a person’s life. Causing them to shy away from attending any social events. There are two different types of hyperhidrosis:
- Primary Hyperhidrosis (focal hyperhidrosis) – This type of hyperhidrosis can cause sweating to occur in the hands, underarms, face, and feet without any cause or reason.
- Secondary Hyperhidrosis (generalized hyperhidrosis) – Excessive sweating can occur all over the body or in larger areas of the body. This condition can be caused by extreme heat, medication, or a medical condition.
What Is MiraDry?
MiraDry is the only FDA approved treatment on the market that is non-invasive and decreases sweat by eliminating its root cause. With the use of microwave energy, miraDry targets and eliminates the sweat and odor glands in the armpits. Once these glands are eliminated, they will not grow back.
Without the presence of these glands, sweat can no longer be produced. In return, you will no longer have to worry about embarrassing sweat stains and odor. Throughout this process, the top layer of the skin will remain cool and protected. It will be unaffected by the microwave energy being used to eliminate underarm sweat glands.
Since sweat glands are eliminated, results will be seen instantly. The need for deodorant will be gone. According to Dr. Sheila Nazarian, “For 20% of my patients, this is a one-time procedure. If needed, a second procedure can be given at two months. Very, very rarely is there a need for more than two treatments.”
Will I sweat more elsewhere?
No. miraDry will not make you sweat more elsewhere. Simple as that!
Benefits of MiraDry
- Permanent results
- Reduces underarm sweat, odor, and hair
- Non-surgical so there are no incisions
- A quick, in-office treatment
- Little to no downtime
- Drastic reduction in underarm sweat
- Will not cause more sweating elsewhere
Is MiraDry Safe?
MiraDry eliminates sweat glands, so this may sound dangerous to you, but it’s not. Our body does need sweat glands to help cool us down. However, there are between 2 to 4 million sweat glands throughout the body.
MiraDry only attacks the sweat glands in the underarm area, which equates to 2% of the body’s total sweat glands. The body can efficiently cool itself down with the remaining 98% sweat glands.
Here is a great example to help you understand miraDry:
When you place your food in the microwave you typically have to add a bit of water to it. This is because microwaves makes water move rapidly to create friction and heat. The only thing in your armpit that contains water is your sweat and odor glands. Therefore, no nerves or lymph nodes will be affected.
Who is an Ideal Candidate For MiraDry?
Anyone can benefit from miraDry. You do not have to have excessive sweating issues to be an ideal candidate for this procedure.
Others who may consider miraDry include:
- Individuals who have felt self-conscious about underarm sweat.
- People who avoid social outings because of sweat.
- Those looking to eliminate the use of deodorant and want to go all-natural.
- Those who have tried other methods to treat underarm sweat without any successful results.
- Individuals who deal with an odor that is not controlled by deodorant.
- Those who are tired of their white clothes having yellow underarm stains
- Individuals who want armpit hair reduction but have blond, red or grey hair
Who is Not an Ideal Candidate?
Even though you are looking for ways on how to stop armpit sweating permanently, you have to understand that miraDry is not for everyone.
Those who would not be good candidates for this procedure include:
- Infection in the armpit area
- Scar tissue in the armpit area
- Allergic to local anesthesia (lidocaine with epinephrine)
- Have a cardiac pacemaker or other electronic implants
- Have cysts in the armpit area
- Have radiation injuries in the underarm area
What to Expect the Day of Your MiraDry Procedure
You will be in a comfortable lying position during treatment with your arm up over your head. A tattoo treatment guide will be placed, this is similar to the temporary tattoos that kids often use. The numbing medication ensures you do not feel any discomfort during the procedure.
The miraDry applicator is placed over the treatment guide. The applicator resembles a suction cup. Through this applicator, microwave energy attacks the underarm glands. These glands contain water and are responsible for sweat and odor. With just one treatment, 80% of these glands are permanently gone. This is typically enough for individuals to never have to worry about wearing deodorant again.
Once the procedure is done, you will be able to return to your normal routine. Altogether, miraDry typically takes about an hour. This is the perfect solution for those who lead a busy life and are wanting to address their sweat issues.
Before you leave, your physician will provide you with post-op instructions.
- You could experience some discomfort for up to two weeks and some minor swelling for up to 6 weeks (not visible to others in daily life encounters).
- You will want to take an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen to help reduce pain.
- Apply ice to the area to decrease swelling, especially for the first 24 hours.
- Keep your underarms clean by using a mild soap and gently washing them.
- Avoid shaving your underarms for the first week.
- Do not apply any deodorant for the first two to three days.
- Help decrease underarm irritation by wearing a loose top.
What Are the Potential Side Effects?
Most patients experience no side effects at all other than some soreness and swelling in the treatment area. However, this will resolve within a few weeks.
Side effects of miraDry are very rare, but may include:
- Localized soreness
- Underarm swelling
- Tenderness lasting for several days.
- Hair loss – 72% hair reduction with two treatments of miraDry – a side effect we love!
Some patients reported a change in sensation underneath their arms. However, this will gradually return to normal.
Other Alternatives to MiraDry
MiraDry is a fantastic solution because it is non-invasive, meaning there are no incisions or cuts involved. It is done as an outpatient procedure in your physician’s office. Alternative methods may include:
- Antiperspirants and toxins – This method is only temporary and will require repeat treatment to maintain effectiveness.
- Surgery – This method would be invasive and comes with surgical risk.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Recovery Time Like?
Since miraDry is non-invasive, a patient can go back to their normal routine right after their treatment. There is no recovery time or restrictions.
How Long Does The MiraDry Procedure Take?
This treatment is given in your physician’s office and takes about an hour.
What Results Can I Expect?
The results are immediate. On average, 82% of underarm sweat is decreased in just one treatment. There is an average decrease of odor by 89%. Results may vary from patient to patient.
Don’t I Need All of my Sweat Glands?
Believe it or not, there are over 2 million sweat glands throughout the body. The underarms only contain 2% of those glands. While miraDry attacks sweat glands in your armpits, you will still have 98% of your glands to cool you down.
Does MiraDry Hurt?
The underarms are especially sensitive, so that the first shot of anesthetic may hurt a bit. But really, that’s it in terms of discomfort. Afterward, you can expect to be sore and have swelling under your armpits. It may also feel like a sunburn under your armpits for the first day or so – icing helps this sensation a lot and is recommended as much as possible for the day of the procedure.
How Many Treatments Are Needed?
About 20% of my patients can get the results they are looking for in one setting. If needed, a second procedure can be given at two months. Very, very rarely is there a need for more than two treatments.
Is MiraDry Safe?
MiraDry is designed to attack water and is a very safe and efficient treatment option for excessive sweating. There have been over 140,000 treatments of miraDry worldwide, and it upholds an excellent safety record.
How Much Does MiraDry Cost?
The cost of miraDry will highly depend on the desired results. Your physician will discuss these results with you at your consultation. On average, miraDry costs around $2,000 to $4,000, depending on if one or two treatments are necessary.
Will My Insurance Cover MiraDry?
No, unfortunately, miraDry is not covered by your insurance company. However, you may be able to use some of your HSA/FSA funds towards miraDry treatments. You will need to consult your HSA/FSA manager to find out.
Check Out Our Blog
What is miraDry? Find out more about this amazing product by visiting our service page. Even if you don’t suffer from profuse sweating, like laser hair removal, miraDry can be a lifestyle change that you will enjoy… one less thing to think about! In addition, you can learn about our services about visiting our blog.