Most Common Types of Plastic Surgery for Men
With a boom in the plastic surgery industry, you may be wondering if women are the only candidates willing to seek cosmetic enhancements. The answer would be no. Plastic surgery for men has gained traction over the last decade. Statistics suggest that male cosmetic procedures will continue to rise.
Everyone has their reasons for indulging in plastic surgery. However, most of these types of procedures are done because a person wants to enhance the way they look and feel about themselves. More and more men are striving to reach their ideal body image and will diet, exercise, and seek cosmetic enhancements to gain the look they want.
Get the Facts
Despite the stereotype that women are the only ones that get plastic surgery, recent studies proved that male procedures were gaining a lot of limelight.
- Between 1997 and 2012, there was a 106% increase in men that went for cosmetic procedures.
- From 2016, there was a 181% increase in the number of men having male breast reduction (gynecomastia) performed.
- A study performed in 2018 by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons showed that men made up a large percentage of cosmetic procedures:
- 58% of calf augmentation
- 58% of chin augmentation
- 25% of rhinoplasty
- 71% of hair transplants
Men want to look and feel their best too! There has been a steady increase and slow culture shift to allow men to partake in the anti-aging, look-your-best movement that has come to be. Additionally, there are also minimally invasive, out-patient procedures men can undergo to help them keep up with the trend of looking youthful and fresh.
This guide will show you some of the most common types of plastic surgeries and non-invasive treatments for men.
Common Plastic Surgery Procedures
Plastic surgery is a broad term that covers procedures that allow a person to enhance the way they look. This includes things such as breast augmentations, nose jobs, butt lifts, liposuction, and many others that are performed by board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Nazarian.
Below you will find the most common types of plastic surgery for men.
Nose Surgery (Rhinoplasty)
Rhinoplasty is reconstructive surgery of the nose. This can be done for medical purposes for those that have problems with their sinuses or septum. In addition, it can help those who have broken their nose previously and it did not heal correctly. This procedure can also be done to help you reshape and redefine your nose.
The size, shape, width, and structure can all be changed to give you a better look and a more defined face. Below are some before and after pictures to show the impact that a nose job can have on the overall look of the face.
- Rhinoplasty is the most common type of male plastic surgery performed.
- The average costs are around $8,000 (the price range is anywhere from $8000-$25,000 depending on the complexity of the procedure).
- The recovery time is varied. You can continue social activities after 1 week. The swelling and most of the healing should be noticed around 6 weeks.
Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasties)
The eyes are a dominant feature of the face. You want to showcase and show off the color, shape, and size that you have and make yourself look your best. Often, as we age, the skin around the eyelids can sag or look “droopy”. Through eyelid surgery, sometimes called an eye lift, the skin above and below the eyes can make them look less puffy and smaller, giving your face the youthful appearance of bright-eyed.
Eye Lift Facts:
- The average cost varies from $4,500-$8,000 depending on the complexity and the amount of restructuring needed.
- Eyelid surgery is the 3rd most common type of plastic surgery given to men to enhance their appearance.
- The average recovery time is 1 week.
Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia)
Men can develop extra fat or tissue around the breast for a variety of reasons such as medications, hormones, genetics, or even lifestyle. Breast reduction is performed to remove the extra tissue. As a result, the patient will have a flatter and firmer chest. Depending on your specific situation and surgeon’s techniques, the procedure may be performed as liposuction or surgically removed. As far as plastic surgery for men goes, this procedure has gained the most popularity and has had the most growth when it comes to cosmetic enhancements for men.
Breast Reduction For Men Facts:
- Breast reduction in men is the fastest growing cosmetic enhancement for men.
- The average cost of surgery ranges between $1,500-$5,000.
- The average recovery time is 3 days with results seen within a month after surgery.
Facial Surgeries (Neck Lift, Face Lift, Jaw Augmentation)
Facelifts, neck lifts, and jaw augmentations are common procedures to help reshape and define a man’s face. A neck lift involves removing loose skin known as “jowls” by tightening the skin and removing excess fat. Jaw augmentation can be done surgically or through the injection of fillers to make the jawline look more defined. Facelifts involve removing or replacing fat around the face and cutting away extra skin that is sagging. The result is a younger and more firm looking face.
Facial Surgery Facts:
- Facial surgeries comprise the fourth most popular type of procedure for men (including jaw augmentation).
- The average cost can range from $2,000 to $11,000 depending on which procedures or combinations are performed to achieve results.
- Recovery times also vary depending on what is performed. The recovery time for jaw augmentation with injectables allows you to return to your normal routine right after the treatment. However, lifts can take 1-2 weeks to recover.
Liposuction involves surgically removing extra fat from the body. It can be done virtually anywhere on the body but is most common at the core. Liposuction is perfect for stubborn fat that doesn’t respond to diet or exercise and provides a tool to allow for sculpting of the body.
Male Liposuction Facts:
- Liposuction is the most common procedure performed on men.
- The costs can vary from $2,500 to $5,000 based on where you have it performed.
- Recovery will all depend on areas of treatment. The recovery time is around a week before you can get out and about. However, it will be around a month before you can return to normal activity and exercise.
Hair transplants involve taking hair from the back of the head and placing them in areas where the hair is thinning or balding. It can take multiple sessions before the results are seen, but it allows you to grow your own hair back.
There are also non-surgical means to achieve better hairline and thicker hair. You should consult with Dr. Nazarian to see what options you have to help you grow back or improve your natural hair.
PRP Hair Rejuvenation is also an option. This non-surgical method involves injections of platelet-rich plasma into the skin to stimulate hair growth. This can take longer, up to 6 months, but offers an alternative to multiple surgical procedures and can still give you back your hair.
Minimally Invasive Procedures
More and more men are becoming open to non-invasive cosmetic treatments. These treatments offer a non-surgical approach for men who want to enhance their appearance but are not ready to commit to a surgical procedure.
Botox is the most common type of outpatient procedure performed on men. Botox is an injection that relaxes the muscles in the face to prevent and treat fine lines, wrinkles, or other age-related facial conditions.
Botox has been approved to treat:
- Crow’s feet
- Frown lines
- Forehead lines
- Severe frown lines
- Certain muscular conditions (like uncontrolled blinking)
Alternatively, Dysport or Xeomin could be used as they are Botulinum toxins as well.
Fillers are injectable treatments that allow your doctor to help you reshape and define your face. It can be done in the cheeks, chin, eyes, forehead, face, and even in the hands. Dermal fillers help restructure the face, promote natural healing, and long non-invasive results. As your body reabsorbs the gel, it is replaced by elastin and collagen to provide support to your face and to give you a more youthful and sculpted look.
For men, fillers are commonly used around the jaw or cheeks to give a more angular or shaped look of the face. This common procedure can be performed in an hour in your doctor’s office and you are free to go home afterward. Some results are seen instantly while others take a few days to be noticeable. The results can last anywhere from 6 months to a year depending on the type of filler you get and how quickly it is absorbed.
Options may include:
- Juvederm: Plus, Voluma, Vollure, and Volbella
- Restylane: Lyft, Silk, Refyne and Defyne
Microdermabrasion is a procedure in which your face is gently “sanded” to remove the excess layer of dead skin and improve facial imperfections. It can help with age spots, acne scars, fine lines, or scars. The popularity of microdermabrasion has been on the rise over the past 10 years.
There is no recovery time needed for this procedure. After treatment, your skin may appear “pink” and will return to normal within a day. You will then begin to see the results. Within a few sessions, you will see the lessening of the spots, scars, and lines.
Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal involves using a laser on a low setting to remove hair. This can take multiple treatments to have complete hair removal, but the more treatments you have the less hair you will see. It can be performed on the face, chin, neck, underarms, legs, or virtually anywhere that you and your doctor decide you want to have the hair removed.
Men Want to Feel Confident
To wrap it up, men want to feel confident too. They want to use the best of modern medicine to reach their goals. Whether it is a surgical procedure or non-invasive treatment, there are many options for men to reach that goal. The number of men turning to modern medicine and plastic surgery has been on the rise and will soon be a cultural norm just like women.